Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Definitely filed under the 'Random Thoughts' category

Ok, so in one of my higher moments, I have come to truly appreciate the period as a grammatical tool. I know that the ellipsis is really popular now in popular culture and everything, but what an overly used, trite piece of wannabe ironic visual twist on discourse. I'm guilty, I know. I used to love the ellipsis. What a great way of adding the temptuously tongue in cheek way of writing. After all, it's so easy. There's no effort in what must come next to indicate a sarcastic comment coming. The ellipsis says it all.

But what about the period. Nothing is more blunt than a period. It is an abrupt stop. There's no instruction for pause as with it's cousin the ellipsis, it demands an immediate halt. The tantalizing pause of the ellipsis is widely overused and abused. What a pretentious way of trying to feign intelligence by using what used to be a sacred mark of punctuation rarely used and only when its true intention was intended. Perhaps its just another sign of our ridiculous nature to make anything remotely popular a cultural symbol. Which in the ironic postmodern generation currently underway, provides a sort of paradox as to the loss of meaning when a postmodern icon is symbolized and popularly internalized. That which it was supposed to represent is no longer embodied in the symbolized version digested by popular culture. Nonetheless, I digress.

The ellipsis has lost all meaning now. I say go old school. I say remember the period. Remember how it's simplicity and directness. There's no cowardly pause. There is no sign of weakness, strength and conviction are conveyed by the period. There's no moment of false deliberation purposed here. There's not a single semicolon here, no sir. I am a firm believer in the period, and all that it stands for. I say to you bring confidence to your writing. Don't complicate things by injecting vagueness. Get back to your roots people. May God bless the period, and may God bless America.

No comments: